At Prestige Plumbing, Heating & Cooling, we are committed to ensuring the safety and energy efficiency of your plumbing and HVAC systems. To make an educated decision about home comfort service, review the following tips. Then, contact a Prestige team member to schedule a repair, inquire about new products or request a detailed project estimate.
[toggle title=”Practical Plumbing Tips”]
- Know the location of your main water shut-off valve. Your residential plumbing crisis will be more manageable if you know how to turn off the main water source. Your water valve may be located in your basement, or at the water meter (street or side of house). If you have a leak in your plumbing, are replacing plumbing parts or are experiencing a basement flood, turn water off immediately.
- Don’t flush paper towels or other foreign objects down the toilet. Toilet paper is designed with the appropriate flushing density. Paper towels, sanitary napkins and other paper products are not, and may cause toilet malfunctioning due to sewer pipe obstruction.
- Repair a slow-draining sink. Slow drains are prevalent in older and newer homes, and older pipes can be easily damaged by chemical drain cleaners. To clear your drain, it is best to snake the pipes. Snake units are available from local rental companies, but should not be used if you are inexperienced. To avoid damaging your home’s pipes or putting up with slow drains, call a Prestige plumbing professional today.
- Restore water flow to sink faucets and shower heads. Mineral buildup or debris can lead to decreased water pressure. To remove these materials, detach the faucet head, clean the screen, and soak the faucet in vinegar. If you have especially hard water, you may need to repeat this process every three to four months—or consider a water softener or other water treatment equipment. [/toggle]
[toggle title=”Maintaining Your HVAC Equipment”]
- Home and Business HVAC Safety: Over time, Chicago duct and equipment deterioration can lead to leaks and major safety issues. To protect your family or building occupants, schedule regular equipment inspections for HVAC systems. In the meantime, if you smell gas—avoid using your phone or flipping electrical switches. Leave your home or business immediately, and dial 911 or contact the utility company.
- Duct & Ventilation Maintenance: Indoor air quality is important for home and building occupants, and especially critical for allergy and asthma sufferers. Proper IAQ service should be done by a trained professional, and should address the entire ventilation system (registers, ducting and HVAC coils). Regular duct cleaning can also improve HVAC efficiency.
- Carbon Monoxide Safety: An odorless, virtually undetectable gas, carbon monoxide leads to breathing problems, nausea, dizziness, headaches and even death. Install carbon monoxide detectors to protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning. Test detectors regularly, and replace them according to manufacturer recommendations (every two to five years).
- Home Air Quality: Your western Chicagoland ventilation system requires regular filter changes to improve equipment performance and efficiency—and to prevent unwanted bacteria and mold from entering your air. Other indoor air quality products include filtration systems, humidifiers, UV lights and energy recovery models. A Prestige technician will evaluate your home air quality and recommend affordable IAQ products to suit your needs.
- Programmable Thermostats: Today’s programmable thermostats are easy to use and simple to program. Installing a high-quality programmable thermostat from Honeywell or Nest™ will prevent energy waste and can help you save significantly on annual utility bills! [/toggle]
To learn more about improving energy efficiency and home or business comfort, visit the ENERGY STAR™ website or call 630.801.8600 to schedule an air quality or indoor climate consultation